Thursday, June 21, 2007

An Old Friend Remembered in Someone New

The body was different, but the mannerisms are the same. A little stutter here and there, Depeche Mode in the CD player, Bluetooth enabled car and Mac fanatic. I have met a younger version of my dear departed friend.

I am in Houston on a business trip and one of the people here reminds me of Pete. At 33 he still lives at home, he has a server farm in his bedroom (no, I didn;t see it, he told me about it) and he runs a Mortal Combat website. Ok, these last couple things Pete didn't do, but in my mind, given time, he may have.

Bishop was the taxi service for us all week. Not once did he complain. I really think he is a lonely soul and really enjoys being around people. Never once did the conversation dull when he was around. It was simple, easy and really geek speak.

It struck me in a sad way saying goodbye to Bishop tonight. It was like saying goodbye to my old friend again, not knowing whether I would see him again or not.

I hope to fall asleep tonight and dream about Pete, all the fun times we had and say all the things to him that I never got the chance to say while he was alive.

2 comments:

Sanity Lost said...

Odd, I had a dream about Pete the other night. We were just kicking back talking and watching tv. When I woke up I was wishing that was the dream. I have been thinking about him a lot lately, even had a good hard cry..... what is it about some people, that they are just so unforgetable. I can still hear his laugh and his voice in my head................

MaxieCat said...

I can still hear him too. It's weird to see him in other people. Sometimes I think the past three years have been a dream and I will wake up to the phone ringing and it will be him.

When I was at Ikea a couple weeks ago, he was there with me. Going places like that and having people around me that remind me of him is actually good. It makes me smile to remember the good times.