Saturday, March 26, 2005

He's getting older - part deux

It's been an interesting week. Gordon's oldest son called last Friday to see if we wanted to come to dinner on Sunday, we of course accepted. The first thing after he called was to ponder - "what does he want?" This is wrong on so many levels, but with his kids, they don't come around or call unless they want something.

Jon and Amie (named for the Pure Prairie League song) have been together for about three years. They make a good couple and compliment each other. They don't have to dimes to rub together, but they love each other and make each other happy.

We got to their house and where chatting it up when Amie showed me the ring Jon had given her for her birthday in February. They were engaged. Gordy and I were excited with this news as they seem to make the perfect couple. They talked about having a wedding in the fall of 2006 - something small and outdoors. Since they are simple people, they wanted something simple. We told them they were more than welcome to have the reception here at the house. We have more ample room for a small wedding. If it rains, we have the garage and we have the deck for dancing. We can have a bonfire and make it a real good time.

Over the course of the evening, we found out that Ben had also gotten engaged to his minor girlfriend and that they were not planning on getting married for another 6 years. OK, so what's the point of putting a ring on someone's finger if, first, they are underage, and second, they are not planning on getting married for another six years? What's the point on spending that kind of money? I personally think that they have been having problems and he saw this as a way to try and bring them closer. When Gordy asked him why they didn't tell us, Ben's reply was they if someone noticed the ring, they would tell them, but they weren't openly telling people. Gordy said "Ben, this is supposed to be a happy thing, I would think you would want to tell everyone." It's almost like Ben is embarrassed to tell people.

Oh well, back to the dinner. After we ate, we were sitting around playing dice (I have no idea what this was, but I had a pretty good buzz). Amie made some comment about how everyone was in a good mood and they decided to spring it on us that they are having a baby in October. On one hand, I was absolutely ecstatic for them. They 22 and 24, and are old enough to have kids. On the other hand I was really disappointed for myself. I was the one that should have been pregnant before her. They seem so happy about this and don't seem to realize what this is going to cost. Amie seems to think she can collect unemployment while she can't work. I hate to inform her, but in this state, you have to be available for work to collect unemployment, which means she can't collect while she is out on maternity leave. I told them they need to look into some short term disability, which would cover this. I must say, they didn't think a whole lot about this before they got pregnant - but I am still happy for them.

Gordy has been good about this. When I came home and freaked out, more about Ben than anything, he listened to me gripe and nodded his head in agreement.

I told him yesterday, that under no circumstances was I to be referred to as Grandma. I am too young for that and at my age, and the fact I don't have kids of my own, I don't want to deal with feeling old. Gordy also thinks that at 50 he is to young to be a grandfather. He thinks he is still in his early 30's. Oh well, time marches on.

1 comment:

Sanity Lost said...

LOL.....you better watch out about stressing the fact you don't want to be called grandma.......my father was about 50 when he became a grandpa and he kept saying that he would not accept being called by any name that hinted at him being a grandfather. I made sure that when Peter was old enough to talk that he called him grampy....I purposely picked out a name that would emphisize that status..... now Peter calls him grumpy gramps.....