Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Remembering Pete

Before my friend, Pete, passed on last year, I saw him three or four times a year. I would pick him up at the airport and drop him off at his Mom's in Zelie. While he was home, we would get together for a nice evening out or I would cook dinner.

It was during these visits that I got the feeling that his Mom didn't like him spending time with me. I think she wanted him all to herself while he was home. I totally understand where she was coming from, as I would have probably felt the same way.

I always thought that she was too possesive of him. You could call her high maintenance. When she asks for something, she wants it done right away - no exceptions and never mind what else was going on.

The last time I saw his mom was in August when Stephanie was in town for a visit. While we were there, she told us to go through some things of his, as she was going to throw away anything that we didn't take.

Steph and I looked at the room full of stuff and took photo's, communion certificates and other things. The photo's were of events that were milestones in Pete's life - graduation from high school and college, senior pictures, shots of him uniform.

At the time, I was hurt and upset by her actions. In my mind, she was removing any trace of Pete's existence on this planet. To her, it was like he was never born. She was the same way when her husband died - get rid of everything and pretend it never happened.

I am not sure if this is a culture thing since they were from Chile, but I always thought it was odd.

Anyhow, I sent a Christmas card to both Mrs. Solis and her friend Pat. I got a return card from Pat, and I was surprised with the "years happenings" letter. She mentioned Mrs. Solis and her big move from Zelienople to Butler to a new condo.

I knew Mrs. Solis was to move sometime in the Fall, but I didn't know that it happened. I guess I would expected a call or a change of address note.

When I called Sue to ask her about it, she had no idea either. Considering Sue did a lot for Mrs. Solis, I would have thought she would have known.

My thoughts on this: She's running from the past - she no longer has anything in her life to remind her of Joaquin or Peter. The house, the pictures and the friends are no longer of interest to her. Out of sight - out of mind.

Fortunately Peter will live on through his tried and true friends: Steph, Sue and I. We will never stop loving him. He will remain with us in our hearts and will always watch over us.

1 comment:

Sanity Lost said...

a few weeks ago an insurance check was dropped off at my house and the envelope read, "To the Estate of Peter Solis". A sizable check that must have come from one of his jobs, a 401K or something. I didn't know she had moved either until I tried to call her to let her know it was on the way. Glad I called PAt first, otherwise it would have gone to the wrong address.