Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Back to the "Real World"



I spent an incredibly relaxing week at the beach and got home this past Saturday.

I started vacation out by leaving work early and getting on the road around 12:30. My cousin, Karen, came with me and we were in Fredericksburg, VA in a mere 6 hours. We met my Mom and chilled out watching the Steeler game - bad ugly loss that is was...

Saturday we made the final leg of the trip and I was all about hitting the water. The weather was great and the ocean was really warm.

I enjoyed the next four days soaking up the sun, reading and swimming. My other cousin, Melanie, was there so it was fun hanging out with her. Karen wanted some alone time, so Mel and I chatted, laughed and carried on without her. It's been along time since she and I have had a chance to spend time together without the spouses and her kids. It was like we were younger again.



I really think she needed a vacation from her life. She works really hard at being a Navy wife and Mom - toughest job in the world in my opinion. Anyhow, by Friday, she was looking relaxed and ready to face the life again with a renewed vigor.

Thursday was interesting. We had been watching tropical storm Ernesto brew out in the Atlantic the whole week and knew it was coming our way - Thursday was the day. The outer bands hit around 4:30 with some serious rain and that continued through the evening. The brunt of the storm (we were in the northeast quadrant) hit around 12:30 and I never thought the wind would end. The wind pelted the rain against the windows immediately over my head in the room where I was sleeping. I dozed for a while, then would wake up when there was a big gust. Around 3:00,the wind changed to the back of the house (same room, different window). I must say, it was a little scary and it's not something that I would want to do again anytime isoon.

When we woke up Friday morning, the wind was still heavy, but the storm had passed. Mel and I went for a walk down the beach to see how the sea turtle nest faired in the storm and it was gone - sad. We spent the rest of the day reading on the deck and scouring the sand for shells.

Saturday brought me home and the farther north I got, the more expensive gas was - damn taxes in PA.

This is the first time in years that I have felt this relaxed after a vacation. I like the idea of leaving all my problems at home, and dealing with them when I have a clear head.

I'll post some pics later.

No comments: