Thursday, February 02, 2006

Riding without a helmet

This is something I would never have considered doing - until today. It was in the mid 50's and I was in a "funk." Since my birthday, I have been doing things I never would have considered doing before.

Anyhow, I saw that Bruce had brought his bike to work today. I have been saying for a year and a half that I wanted to go for a ride, not having the nerve to ask.

Kelli and I were talking about it and she said, "just ask" the worst that's going to happen is that he'll say no. I told her I was a chicken shit, then walked out the door to the restroom.

As I rounded the corner, I heard the familiar sound of keys behind me. I turned around and there were Rocco and Bruce.

"Hi Guys"

"Hi Margie"

And here it is... "So when do I get a ride on that bike of yours?"

As the out of body experience continued, he replied, "Right Now."

"Really?"

"No, but I get done at 3:30. We can go then."

So on this warm February day I went for a bike ride sans helmet. My father would have freaked, Gordy would ask "What the hell were you thinking?" And my friends would have been disappointed in me. I am smarter than that and I definitely know better.

I had a blast, a day I will never forget. I made a new friend, I bought him a beer, I rode in the rain and had a great time.

He told me that his wife had died three years ago and that he still misses her, they were married 28 years. He's seeing someone right now, though I had the feeling that wasn't going anywhere.

The most ironic thing about the ride was when he dropped me off. He said to me, "You know what my wife's name was?"

"No."

"Margaret."

Maybe it's just me, but I think it's quite uncanny that his wife's name and mine are so much alike - mine is actually a derivative of Margaret. I wonder what he called her? Maggie, Meg, Peg or Margie...

No comments: